Welcome to First Grade – 1G!
|Monday 2:05-2:40||Library (return library book)|
|Thursday 1:50-2:35||Gym (please wear gym uniform)|
Art Class Sign Up Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C4EA9A928A1F85-1gartclass
Homework Grade 1-G
Monday, January 13 – Thursday, January 16
*Parents, please remember to sign or initial your child’s homework each night. This tells me you have completed the work with your child.
IXL: Please remember to go on IXL. 20 minutes should be the goal for each week.
**In case of inclement weather, please continue to do the homework assigned if the correct books are home with you.
Monday, January 13
- Religion- please study the Glory Be for the month of January. Study facts 48-49 listed below on the website.
- Spelling: H copybook-write the spelling words 2x each. Please fold the page in half. Number the lines from 1-8. Write the word on the first half of the page and the same word across from it on the second half of the page. Continue to do for all 8 words. (ship, shop, which, when, whip, fish, shell, graph)
- Math: pp.97-98.
- Reading: study the words from Unit 3 – Nature Near and Far. This week’s words are under Seasons.
Tuesday, January 14
- Religion- please study the Glory Be. Study facts 50 and 51.
- Spelling- write one statement sentence (those which end in a period) for these 4 spelling words (ship, shop, whip, fish). Statement sentences end with a period. *Please number each sentence and underline the spelling word used in each sentence. All words in the sentences should be spelled correctly.
- Math: pp. 99-100.
- Reading: study the words from Unit 3 – Nature Near and Far.
Wednesday, January 15
- Religion- please study the Glory Be. Study fact 52.
- Spelling– write one asking sentence (those which end in a question mark) for these 4 spelling– which, when, shell, graph. *Please number each sentence and underline the spelling word used in each sentence. All words in the sentences should be spelled correctly.
- Math: pp. 101-102.
- Reading: study the words from Unit 3 – Nature Near and Far.
Thursday, January 16
- Religion- please study the Glory Be. Review facts 48-52.
- Spelling- Please study for the test tomorrow (ship, shop, which, when, whip, fish, shell, graph)
- Math: pp.103-104
- Words to Know/Phonics: Complete page coming home in H folder (front and back)
- Noon dismissal- tomorrow. Please check the calendar for transportation.
- There is no school on Monday, January 20th.
Enjoy the long weekend!
*In addition to your child’s written homework, please read to your child and/or have your child read to you for at least 20 minutes each night.
**Please remind your child to empty his/her completed and corrected papers from the H folder each night. Any “fix-its” should be sent back to school completed and corrected.
Scholastic Book Order Directions
Shop Online: scholastic.com/readingclub
One-Time Class Activation Code: Q7L7J
You can shop and submit your order online ONLY . Please do not send checks to me. Every purchase you make earns FREE Books and educational supplies for our classroom.
The arrival of the book box is always a highlight. Thanks for making it happen!
If This Is Your First Time Ordering Online:
– VISIT scholastic.com/readingclub
– ENTER the one-time Class Activation Code (top of this letter)
– SHOP from a carefully curated selection of the best books, value packs, and Story eBooks
– SUBMIT your order and earn FREE Books for our classroom
– All book orders will be shipped to our classroom so we can celebrate the joy of reading together!
Mathletics- The username and password to get on the Mathletics site is taped in your child’s H-Folder. You may start working on this site at any time.
When sending in money, please be sure to write your child’s name and what the money is for on the envelope. Thank you!
Class List- 19 Children
|Ryan Benamar||Mylah Barkmeyer|
|Jack Borelli||Imogen Foley|
|Brady Doran||Aubrey Graybehl|
|Parker Ford||Mia Neaves|
|Ben Guenther||Quinn Pantaleo|
|Tommy Mallozzi||Molly Richer|
|Gerad Mueller||Kennedy Trainor|
|Dominic Pironti||Giovanna Van Dam|
|Liam Yun||Brynn Whelan|
2019 – 2020 Words
Unit 1- Around the Neighborhood
Weather At the Zoo
Unit 2 – Sharing Time
Traditional Stories Writing
Animal Communications Feelings
Unit 3 – Nature Near and Far
Marine Habitats goes
Jungle Animals into
own bird or
very both those
Seasons eyes walk
Unit 4- Exploring Together
Ways to Travel laugh
sure door use
there more want
Agriculture mother wash
Unit 5 – Watch Us Grow
story Life Cycle
until Learning about Our Country
years buy please
young city school
Pets family seven
Unit 6 – Three Cheers for Us!
Visual Arts cried
Trying Hard listen
once brothers only
stories everyone people
Weather field sorry
Grade 1- Religion Facts
Chapter 1- God is Our Father
- Creation is everything God made.
- The Bible is the book of God’s Word.
- God created all people to know and love Him.
- God did not create everyone to be exactly alike.
- God promises to love us always.
- Saint Francis of Assisi took care of God’s creation, especially the animals.
Chapter 2- We Believe in the Blessed Trinity
- The Blessed Trinity is One God in Three Persons.
- The Sign of the Cross is a prayer to the blessed Trinity.
- Prayer is listening and talking to God.
- We pray to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit when we pray the Sign of the Cross.
11.There is only one God.
12. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Chapter 3- Jesus Grew up in a Family
13. We call Jesus, Mary, and Joseph the Holy Family.
14. Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
15. When Jesus was growing up, the Holy Family lived in Nazareth.
16. We celebrate the birth of Jesus on Christmas.
17. Mary always did what God asked her to do.
18. Mary is the mother of God’s only Son, Jesus.
Chapter 4- Jesus Works Among the People
- Jesus’ cousin is John the Baptist.
- John was getting the people ready to welcome Jesus into their lives.
- Zacchaeus was a man who lived in Jericho and climbed a tree to see and listen to Jesus.
- Jesus told Zacchaeus about God’s love when he came to his house.
- When we believe in someone’s love for us, we trust them.
- Jesus taught everyone about God’s love.
Chapter 5- Jesus Teaches Us about Love
25. Commandments are laws or rules given to us by God to help us live as God wants us to.
- The Great Commandment is: “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- Jesus taught us that all people are our neighbors.
- The Good Samaritan helped someone who was hurt.
- We show God our love when we love ourselves.
Chapter 8- Jesus Had Many Followers
30. Jesus invited people to be His followers.
31. The Apostles were the twelve men Jesus chose to lead his followers.
- Jesus taught His followers the Lord’s Prayer.
- We also call the Lord’s Prayer the Our Father.
- Lord is another name for God and Jesus.
- Jesus often prayed to God the Father.
Chapter 9- Jesus Died and Rose to New Life
36. Jesus is our Good Shepherd.
37. Hosanna is a word of praise we pray at Mass. It is the word people used to praise Jesus as he entered Jerusalem.
38. Jesus taught in the Temple in Jerusalem.
39. The Temple was the holy place in Jerusalem where the Jewish people prayed.
40. Jesus died so all people could live in God’s love.
41. Easter Sunday is the special day we celebrate Jesus Christ rose to new life. We pray Alleluia, another word of praise.
Chapter 10- Jesus Sends the Holy Spirit
42. We celebrate Pentecost fifty days after Easter Sunday.
43. Pentecost is the day the Holy Spirit came to Jesus’ followers.
44. Glory to the Father is a prayer to the Blessed Trinity.
45. Jesus returned to God the Father.
46. The Holy Spirit helps Jesus’ followers to teach about Jesus.
47. A picture of a flame or a dove reminds of the Holy Spirit.
Chapter 11- The Holy Spirit Helps the Church to Grow
48.The Church began on Pentecost. It is the birthday of the Church.
49. The Church is all the people who believe in Jesus and follow His teachings.
50. On June 29, the Church honors Saint Peter and Saint Paul. We remember that Peter and Paul helped the Church to grow.
51. The Holy Spirit helps the Church to grow.
52. The Holy Spirit helps us to live as Jesus taught us.
Chapter 12- The Church Serves
- The name Peter means Rock.
- The apostles were the first leaders of the church.
- Saint Peter was our first Pope- the leader of the whole Church.
- Bishops take the place of the apostles today.
- Bishops lead and take care of the people in their diocese.
- The Pope is the Bishop of Rome in Italy. He takes care of the whole Church all over the world.
- The Pope lives in the Vatican in Rome, Italy. The Vatican is called Saint Peter’s.
Chapter 15- We Belong to a Parish
60. A parish is a group of Catholics who join together to share God’s love.
61. Our parish joins together to celebrate God’s love and to worship Him.
62. The leader of our parish is called the pastor.
63. Our parish is like a family.
64. Worship means to give God thanks and praise.
65. Other leaders in the parish work with the pastor, too.
Chapter 16- We Celebrate the Sacraments
66. Jesus gave us seven special signs of God’s life and love called sacraments.
67. A sacrament is a special sign given to us by Jesus.
68. The seven sacraments are Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist, Confirmation, Matrimony, Holy Orders and Anointing of the Sick.
69. We use the gifts of God’s creation during the celebration of the sacraments.:
70.. We use water and oil to bless us.
71. Light reminds us that Jesus is with us.
72. Bread made from wheat and wine made from grapes are used.
Chapter 17- The Church Welcomes New Members
73. Baptism is the sacrament in which we become children of God and members of the Church. It is the first sacrament we receive.
74. Some people are baptized when they are babies. Others are baptized later. Older children or adults are usually baptized at a celebration on the night before Easter Sunday.
75. Water is a sign of life God gives us. It is an important sign of Baptism. Water is poured on us or we are placed in water.
76. At Baptism God gives us a share in His life called grace.
77. Grace helps us grow as followers of Jesus.
78. The priest baptizes us in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
79. We wear white at Baptism to remind us to live as a follower of Jesus.
80. A candle is used at Baptism to remind us to always walk in the light of Christ.
Chapter 18- We Are Followers of Jesus
81. Jesus is the Light of the World.
82. When we were baptized, we received the light of Christ. We became followers of Jesus.
83. Jesus wants us to be peacemakers. A peacemaker is someone who works for peace. We say and do kind things for others.
84. God made us so that we can make choices. We can choose to make loving choices or choose to do wrong.
85. Pope Pius X was a peacemaker. When he found out countries were going to be in a war, he met with the leaders of these countries to try and stop them from fighting. He wanted all countries to get along.
Chapter 19- We Celebrate God’s Forgiveness
86. God is like the forgiving father in the story of the Prodigal Son.
87. God always forgives us if we are truly sorry.
88. Jesus wants us to follow God’s laws.
89. In the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation we receive God’s forgiveness and peace.
90. It is important to forgive others. We usually celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation in our parish church.
Chapter 22- Jesus Gives Us the Eucharist
91. We call the last meal Jesus shared with His Apostles in Jerusalem the Last Supper.
- Jesus gave His Apostles the gift of Himself at the Last Supper. The bread and wine became the Body and Blood of Jesus.
- The Eucharist is the sacrament of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. The bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.
- The word Eucharist means to give thanks. We thank God for His many gifts.
- The Mass is another name for the celebration of the Eucharist. The Mass is the Church’s greatest celebration.
- Every Saturday night or Sunday we gather as a parish to celebrate Mass. The priest leads us in the celebration of the Mass.
Chapter 23- We Celebrate the Mass
97. The most important time our parish comes together is for Sunday Mass.
98. The Bible is the book of God’s Word.
99. At Sunday Mass we listen to three readings from the Bible.
- We stand for the Gospel reading read by the deacon or priest.
- The Gospel is the Good News about Jesus and His teachings.
- The altar is the table of the Lord.
- Amen means Yes, I believe.
- We get ready to receive Jesus in Holy Communion by praying the Our Father.
Chapter 24- We Share God’s Love
- Jesus showed us how to love and serve God and others. We do this when we share God’s love with our families and friends.
- Prayer is listening and talking to God.
- Singing is praying twice.
- We grow closer to God when we pray.
- We can use our own words to pray.
- Jesus wants us to pray often.
Chapter 25- We Honor Mary and the Saints
- Mary is the most important Saint. She is the Mother of the Church.
- We honor Mary in different ways to celebrate her feast days.
- The special prayer to honor Mary is the Hail Mary.
- Saints are followers of Jesus who have died and now live forever with God.
- Saint Anne was the mother of Jesus.
- Saint Katherine Drexel began schools for Native American and African American children.
- Saint Francis Xavier taught the people of India to know God.
- Saint Teresa of Avila wrote books and letters to help people love Jesus.
- We honor all Saints on the Feast of All Saints- November 1.
Chapter 26- We Care for the Gifts of God’s Creation
- When God created people, He told them to watch over the animals.
- God created each one of us. No two people in the world are exactly alike.
- We can show God our thanks for the gift of life by taking care of ourselves.
- The world is God’s gift to all people.
- Jesus told us to treat others the way we want to be treated.
- All of us are important to God so we should respect all people.