Week of October 26, 2020
-Friday, October 30: Halloween classroom party – please see email regarding costume guidelines
-Monday, November 2: No school
-Tuesday, November 3: 9am School Liturgy for K – 2
-Friday, November 6: Noon dismissal
-Saturday, November 7: Parent Social
Please make sure your child brings:
-a towel each Monday.
-a nut-free snack & lunch.
-enough water for the entire day.
-an independent reading book(s).
-at least two additional face masks*.
*Please make sure your child wears a mask that fits properly. The fit must be snug, completely covering your child’s nose & mouth.
Monday, October 26, 2020
-Math: Workbook pages 139 – 140
-LA: Reader’s Notebook pages 79 – 80
-Religion: Read The Prayer of Sorrow twice
-Spelling: Choose any Tic Tac Toe activity
Animals Building Homes
Prayer of Sorrow
O my God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good,
I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more,
and avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us.
In His name, my God have mercy.
Parent Email Attachment re: ThinkCentral sent on 10/13
Dear Second Grade Parents,
I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend.
You will find an envelope with your child’s ThinkCentral username & temporary password in your child’s H folder. ThinkCentral is an excellent resource for math & language arts.
Your child will be studying many concepts and learning new skills in our GoMath! program. Some days, he or she will grasp concepts quickly & completely. Other days, he or she may struggle with different topics.
If you want to help strengthen your child’s understanding of concepts, or even challenge them, then go to the GoMath! ThinkCentral website. There you will find many helpful resources. Here is a quick description of some that I found to be the most useful.
Helpful Math Resources:
GO Math! Student Edition eBook, G2 – If your child forgets their homework page at school, you can print one from here.
GO Math! Animated Math Models, G2 – Mini interactive videos featuring Curious George.
GO Math! Multimedia eGlossary, K-6 – Click “Grade 2” & see visual aids on what certain math vocabulary words mean and look like.
Interactive Student Edition, G2– Fun animated videos walking through skills taught in class.
Math on the Spot Video Tutorial, K-6 – Fun videos & step-by-step procedures on completing word problems & other skills taught in class.
Mega Math – Fun math games intended to challenge math skills.
On the Journey’s Reading ThinkCentral website, you will find the Student ebook, Close Reader (used in class), & Reader’s Notebook (used in class & for homework). A good resource in this section is GrammarSnap Videos. Use this if your child is having trouble with certain grammar concepts or needs a quick review.
How to Log On:
- Go to www-k6.thinkcentral.com/ePC/start.do
- Fill in the following information:
- Country: United States
- State: Pennsylvania
- District: Archdiocese of Phil Ed Office, Philadelphia 19103
- School: Saint Helena School – Blue Bell, 19422
- Username and Password: (see slip of paper in child’s folder)
- Click “Log In”
- Click “My Library”
- Select “Math” or “Reading” under “Library” on the left-hand side of the page.
Have a wonderful week!
Scholastic Book Club
Class Page: https://orders.scholastic.com/XMRPK
Class Code: XMRPK
Order Due: 10/30/2020
1. Luca Addesso
2. Vincent Antonelli
3. Jack Borelli
4. Hunter Cooney
5. R.J. DeOrzio
6. Ben Guenther
7. Jack Santana
8. Michael Traver
9. Liam Yun
10. Kaitlyn Buckley
11. Emma Farrell
12. Anna Filoreto
13. Imogen Foley
14. Aubrey Graybehl
15. Riley Maxwell
16. Quinn Pantaleo
17. Cosley Richardson
18. Molly Richer
19. Bianca Sheldon
20. Kora Short
21. Alyssa Tedesco
22. Giovanna Van Dam
23. Vivienne Williams
Dear Second Grade Parents,
Welcome back! My name is Mrs. Danielle James and I am privileged and delighted to be your child’s teacher. Second grade is such a busy, exciting year. Our children will grow academically as they learn many new and wonderful things. Together we will support their spiritual growth as they prepare to receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. I am excited to enjoy this memorable journey together with you.
This will be a year like no other. I am optimistic that the plans put in place will foster a safe, supportive, and positive learning environment. Much forethought has gone into welcoming our students back into the building and our classrooms. Thank you in advance for supporting the protocols that have been put into place surrounding the safety needs of our children. Please read the Back to School Best Practices, Policies, and Procedures, developed by the Saint Helena School Task Force Committee, that was sent out via email. The handbook contains information that is not touched upon in this letter.
- It is important to check your children’s temperature before sending them to school. Temperature checks will be conducted on each student before entering the building and anyone with a temperature of 100.4 will be sent home.
- Masks are required to be worn by students and staff at all times, with the exception of ten minutes in the morning, while eating lunch and during recess, and ten minutes in the afternoon. Social distancing will be practiced during these mask breaks.
- Students will remain in their classroom cohorts all day. Our classroom desks and frequently touched areas will be cleaned multiple times a day. Students will be using their own supplies and will not be permitted to share. The water fountains in the building are inoperable, so we ask that each student bring a large, spill-proof water bottle daily.
- Zippered pencil case (must fit inside desk)
- Many sharpened #2 pencils
- 2 erasers (larger size)
- Art box (clear, shoe box size)
- Box of magic markers
- Box of crayons (no larger than a 24 pack)
- 2 Elmer’s Large Glue Sticks
- Bottle of Elmer’s or Crayola Liquid Glue
- Art smock or tee shirt
- 1 or 2 activity or coloring books (for indoor recess)
- 2 silent reading books
- Roll of clear contact paper (enough to cover 9 workbooks)
- Brown paper bag (used to cover Anthology; book socks are not permitted)
- 2 individual packs of tissues
- 2 bottles of hand sanitizer (small, individual size)
- 3 masks (in case mask is lost, breaks, becomes dirty, etc.)
- Container of disinfecting wipes
- Package of small, brown paper bags
- Large, spill-proof water bottle
- Beach towel (for outside snack and lunch; will be sent home at the end of each week)
Home and School will be providing break-away lanyards for students to wear with their masks and paper bags for students to store their masks. Thank you, Home and School!
School-Provided Supplies Fee and Art Fee
Please send $29.15 in an envelope marked “School Supplies” with your child’s name and grade. An itemized list is below:
- $7.40 – 4 copybooks at $1.85 each
- $3.50 – Assignment Book
- $6.00 – 3 Plastic Folders
- $2.00 – Scissors
- $10.25 – Scholastic News Week, Scholastic Election Booklet, and Science Spin
Also, please send $20.00 in a separate envelope marked “Art Fee” with your child’s name and grade. If you are writing a check, please make it payable to Saint Helena School. Please submit both fees by Monday, September 14.
Children will now copy homework in their assignment book daily. Please sign the assignment book each night. Your signature tells me that the homework has been checked for accuracy and completion. Homework is a review of that day’s school work and should take about 30 minutes to complete. If your child is having difficulty with that night’s assignment, please write me a note in their assignment book. Any loose homework papers will be sent home in the H folder. Other completed school work will also be sent home in this folder and can be removed and kept at home. Any tests, quizzes, and other important school communication will be sent home in the T folder for you to review, sign, and return to school. Please keep in mind that homework is subject to change as we determine what is most appropriate during this time.
If your child will be absent, please call the office. Upon your child’s return to school, please send in a note with the date of and reason for the absence. Your child will bring home any missed work to be completed. Your child will be given the amount of days absent to complete the assignments. For example, if your child is out for two days, then he or she would have two days from the time they receive the assignment to complete their missed work.
Birthdays are so special! They will be recognized and your child will be celebrated, but please do not send in treats to share at this time.
In addition to your child’s school supplies, please label your child’s gym sweats, uniform sweater, lunch box, coat, and school bag. There will be no Lost and Found at this time.
Snack and Lunch
This year our school is nut free. Please check labels carefully. Also, please only pack food packages that your child is able to open independently. For example, GoGurts, fruit snacks, and Capri Sun juice “boxes” are notoriously hard for little fingers to open. No items will be available for purchase. Students need to come to school with a packed snack, lunch, and drink each day. Children will not be using the water fountains, so it is important that they have a larger-size, spill-proof water bottle. Please pack a beach towel to be used for socially distant outdoor seating. Towels will be sent home at the end of each week to be washed.
Please email me your child’s primary source of transportation. If your child will be taking an alternative form of transportation home at any time, please remember to send in a note or call the office no later than 2:15 PM.
Thank you for your boundless support during this unsettled time. Our Saint Helena community is incomparable and I know that together we will create a safe, happy, memorable year for our children.
Please do not hesitate to e-mail me at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Mrs. Danielle Fitzgerald James