Oceans of fun in 3-O!
Welcome to third grade!
REMINDERS & NEWS
- Beginning Tuesday, the Summer Reading Responses will be sent home as homework three nights this week – one night for each book.
- Please send me a letter about your child if you have not done so yet (by 9/18).
- Please send supplies in with your child as soon as you can.
- Also, please send fees into school. Supplies fee: $26.70 and Art fee: $20.00.
- Your child should have a beach towel each day for lunch and our mask breaks. I will send them home on Fridays to be washed.
- Get all books covered by 9/18 – soft books should be covered with contact paper; hard anthology with a paper cover (not book sox)
- Please return the blue emergency card ASAP.
- Scholastic Book Orders due Friday, September 25. Flyers were sent home on the first day of school.
- Math: problems #13-20 in the packet in H folder
- ELA: Reader’s Notebook pg. 10 in packet in H folder
- Make sure you have read the summer reading books.
- Math: problems #13-20 in new packet in H folder
- ELA – Summer Reading Response report for first book – complete both sides and return tomorrow.
- Math: problems #1-16 in new packet in H folder
- ELA – Summer Reading Response report for second book – complete both sides and return tomorrow.
- ELA: Summer book report for the third book.
- Math: pg. 9-10 Worksheet in your H folder
For next week
- Sign into Google Classroom with the email and password you received on Monday, 9/21. I will post a video on how to sign in. Check out this video or read the instructions below to join:
- bring up google on your computer
- log in using your user id and password on index card – this will take you to your email
- click on the waffle at the top right
- click on “Classroom” picture
- click on Mrs. Owsiany’s classroom once you get into Classroom (3-O 2020-2021)
Some additional free educational resources:
- This is a fun series of math games. Sign-up is free. https://www.prodigygame.com/
- National Geographic for Kids: great science resource- browse for lots of information about animals
- https://www.raz-kids.com/: Online guided reading program with interactive ebooks, downloadable books, and reading quizzes.
- Scholastic has some cool “learning at home” activities. Check it out: https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome/grades-3-5.html
- Watch Live Science at home from The Franklin Institute
- http://www.amazingeducationalresources.com/ This a huge document listing many free resources (organized alphabetically). Brief descriptions and targeted age groups are listed for each resource. I have not looked through all of the options listed so I cannot attest to the quality of these, but there are many options for virtual field trips, reading sites and art sites. Please take a look.
- Monday – Spanish
Tuesday – Music
- Wednesday – Computers ***
Thursday – Gym ***
Friday – none
- *** No teacher for the time being, but students can wear their gym uniform on Thursdays.***
Way Cool Websites
- Our ELA web site: www-k6.thinkcentral.com
- This is the same site that we use for Go Math! Student’s user id and password can be found in back of student assignment book.
- You can access homework pages, the anthology and many more resources here.
- Finding a “Just-Right” Book
- Spelling City – this is a fun website to practice your spelling words each week https://www.spellingcity.com/users/jowsiany
- Math games:
- IXL.com (User id and password are glued into back cover of student assignment books.)
- https://www-k6.thinkcentral.com (This is the Go Math! website with valuable tools and games on it. User id and passwords are also in the back of the student assignment book.)
- For explanations of specific math skills, please log onto the https://www-k6.thinkcentral.com website. Click on “My Library” and then on the “Math” section. In your math library, there is something called “GO Math! Animated Math Models G3“. Click on this and you will find extra practice and explanations of many third grade skills.
- Prodigy: https://www.prodigygame.com/
- A-Plus Math
- Math Playground
- Cool Math for Kids
- The Kids Page
- Fun Brain
- Science / Social Studies
- Discovery Education
- Let’s learn about the three branches of government in a fun rap song and a cool website:
- Let’s learn about the Presidents in a rap song and on an interactive website:
- General Educational Games
- For Parents
- How to help Reluctant Readers
- Ways Parents can help in Reading, Spelling, and Math
- What Parents can expect in third grade